Monday, May 21, 2012

We are [definitivamente] not in Kansas anymore

Culture shock may be an understatement.
I very quickly realized how thankful I was to have with me my travel companion, Pat Jones. After a very long day, possibly made longer by the in flight wine drinking, we landed safe and sound in Madrid. While riding a fine line between jetlag and an inquiring mind, I quickly realized that Spain was going to be a brilliant challenge.
(This is all assuming we make it to our destination unscathed. And I thought Utah drivers were reckless...)

España xoxo

Madrid is difficult to describe. There is a tangible history throughout the city, exaggerated by the contrast of the “posh”, modern society which makes everything feel alive.
After a few awkward American faux pas, Patrick and I managed to figure out the hostel system and make a few friends in the process. We indulged in some tapas, visited el Museo Nacional del Prado, and found ourselves a highly European pub crawl.
Madrid, consider yourself conquered.

Mad City Pub Crawl

On to the next phase: reach our new temporary home of Oviedo. I highly suggest a train ride through Spain to anyone looking for breathtaking scenery. The region of Asturias has a completely different atmosphere from its southern counterpart. I immediately felt more at home in the smaller city of Oviedo. There is a sort of charm that I have yet to put my finger on... 

El paisaje de los Asturias

But that will have to wait.I feel foreign in every meaning of the word. It took me about two seconds worth of interaction with my new host mother to realize that I might be in trouble. I might as well be from another planet. Regardless, these wonderful people invited this alien into their home and I couldn’t be more thankful/optimistic/ecstatic. 


Siempre, un beso.


1 comment:

  1. Las fotografías son realmente buenas! Me gusta mucho el uno del camarero con la sidra. Él tiene una "Stone Cold Face!" Yo necesito una cámara como la suya.

    ReplyDelete